As entrance exams are fast approaching, we know many students are keen to scrub up on their essay writing skills. Developing strong essay writing skills is not only important for entrance exams; it is a life long skill that know doubt student’s will draw on during their academic careers.
For students needing to revise persuasive writing skills, here are a few helpful strategies and links:
- The Rule of Three – https://davelinehan.com/rule-of-three-speechwriting/
(while this website discusess the rule of three in relation to speech writing, speeches are more often than not persuasive)
- OREO strategy – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AG6js-KheQ
There are three common types of essays: balanced arguments, for or against an argument (choosing a side) and personal essays.
Below are some essay topics that can be used for practise and preparation:
- All zoos should be shut down and the animals should be returned to the wild.
- Mobile phones should be embraced as learning tools in the classroom.
- Recycling should be a legal requirement for every household.
- Teachers should wear uniforms.
- The school day should start at a later time and end at a later time.
- Schools should have three day weekends.
- Everyone should learn a second language.
- You can never have too many friends.
- Schools should ban homework.
- Children should be able to choose the amount of screen time they have.
For or Against Arguments (choose a side):
- Students should take a gap year after completing their secondary school education.
- The legal voting age should be changed from 18 to 16.
- Country life is better than city life.
- Studying mathematics is more important than studying music
- Do we give children too many trophies/awards?
- Can money buy happiness?
- Is animal testing justified?
- Are we too dependent on computers?
- Do violent video games and films create social problems?
- Is online learning and home schooling an effective way to learn?
- Describe your perfect day.
- If you could travel to any country in the world, where would you visit and why?
- Write about a time where you felt proud of yourself.
- Who inspires you?
- What is the best advice you have been given?
- What us your favourite season?
- What was your bravest moment?
- Describe your favourite place.
- Write about a time that you have felt disappointed.
- What is your favourite book and why?
For further support with essay writing or for marking services, please contact email@example.com